Profile: Kathryn MacDonald
Kathryn MacDonald loves travel and has adventured across three Americas and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa. Her pleasure in exploring places and experiencing cultures has led to her newest collection of travel poems (working titles: Part 1 “Cure for Love: Flight”; Part II “In Love With the Wind”).
Kathryn holds a B.A. from the University of Windsor and an MPA from Queen’s University, Kingston. Between 1998 and 2014, she taught online courses in literature and writing through Loyalist College, Belleville. During that period she also led short discussions and weekend workshops. In 2013 sailing distracted her from work and since she has spent much of the year on the Caribbean with extended stays in Cuba. In Canada once more, she looks forward to meeting with groups and facilitating workshops closer to home.
- It is connection I seek through both photographs and writing. Photographs are not simply images, they suggest stories and stories (poems too) always encode individual and cultural meaning. They are like mirrors inviting viewers to discover their personal relationship with the image/author. Each poem, each story, each photograph is an invitation.
- After speaking with the organizer, I prepare a presentation and handout. Generally, we begin with a discussion followed by a reading/slide show and a wrap-up discussion. I am also prepared to facilitate hands-on, participatory workshops. Participants: writing/photography and travel groups, college and secondary students.
- A Breeze You Whisper (poems) Brighton: Hidden Brook Press, 2011
- Calla & Édourd (fiction) Brighton: Hidden Brook Press, 2009
- The Farm & City Cookbook (essays and recipes) with Mary Lou Morgan; Toronto: Second Story Press 1994
- Various poems in literary journals and magazines (e.g. Penumbra, Moonbeam; Descant; Fiddlehead…)
- Member: Writers Union of Canada: https://www.writersunion.ca/member/kathryn-macdonald
- Slide presentation to Canada-Cuba Literary Alliance (CCLA) 2015
- “Umbrella,” Quinte Arts Council (quarterly paper)
- “With a Woman’s Eye: A Photo Retrospective” (Ban Righ Centre, Queen’s University: November 1992 through January 1993
Other relevant information:
- Website: https://kathrynmacdonald.com
- Blog: https://traveller-kate.blogspot.ca/
- Mid-to-late 1990s: Key to Kingston (editor)
- 1995: Byron House Publishing (year-long contract as managing editor)
- 1981 through 1985: Harrowsmith and Equinox magazines and Camden House Publishing (editorial staff)
- Mobile: 613-962-8373
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org