Published four times a year, Umbrella offers the best editorial and information about arts and culture in the Quinte region. Since 1991, readers have come to rely on Umbrella for articles and news about emerging and established artists working in the performing, visual and literary arts. Each issue includes our calendar that shares details about upcoming performances, shows, workshops/classes, and opportunities. We also highlight news and information about arts education and activities in the schools.
2021 Deadlines for submissions:
Spring: January 22 / Publication date: March 1
Summer: April 23 / Publication date: June 1
Fall: July 16 / Publication date: September 1
Winter: October 22 / Publication date: December 1
Umbrella Submission Guidelines
(Downloadable PDF here.)
Umbrella welcomes submissions for consideration in the following categories: articles about the arts in Quinte Region, illustrations, photographs and poetry.
Space is limited, and the following criteria will be used to select which articles are published:
- What is the story? (The article needs to be more than information sharing.)
- Is the article well-written and edited? (If you need help with this, please contact us about connecting with a QAC member writer.)
- Has the contributor already been featured in the previous issue of Umbrella? (With almost 500 QAC members, we want to ensure equal opportunity for inclusion.) Has the submission been previously published elsewhere? (Also: no press releases.)
- Are there exceptional, eye-catching, high resolution (1MB+) photos? (At least three, please.)
- Does it highlight a local artist/artist group?
- Is the article 500 words or less?
- Is the article submitted on or before the deadline? (Submitting early allows staff to give feedback on how to improve the submission to meet our editorial standards.)
- Is the submission better suited as an ad? If so, please consider supporting Umbrella and purchase an ad.
- Is it about a time-sensitive event? If so please submit your event to our online events directory and/or contact us about featuring the article in our weekly Cultivating Creativity column in the Belleville Intelligencer.
The Quinte Arts Council is committed to practices that support and promote diversity and inclusion in our communications and publishing, including gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disability and career stage. We aim to foster equity, diversity and inclusion, in both the commissioning of articles and in publication. In addition to our standard Style Guide, we are currently developing a language sensitivity and awareness guide, to serve as a resource when writing about gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race and/or disability, as well as a photography/illustration guide to consider diverse representation in our pages.
Our vision with Umbrella is to celebrate the work of a diverse cross-section of artists and arts organizations, across all disciplines, in each issue and throughout the year.
Please note: Articles that are not published in the print edition of the Umbrella will be considered for the QAC blog, Umbrella e-News or in the QAC’s weekly Cultivating Creativity column in the Belleville Intelligencer, and shared on social media.
Umbrella assumes no responsibility for unsolicited materials. Umbrella reserves the right to edit, crop and editorialize all submissions. Members are given space priority. Please do not submit previously published work.
Receiving Umbrella by mail is one of the many benefits of membership with the QAC. For only $50 per year, you can become a Community Friend, or for $60 become an Artist or Group member.
QAC members also receive discounted ad rates. For more information, visit: Advertising in Umbrella.