Published four times a year, Umbrella offers the best editorial and information about arts and culture in the Quinte region. Since 1991, readers have come to rely on Umbrella for articles and news about emerging and established artists working in the performing, visual and literary arts. Each issue includes our calendar that shares details about upcoming performances, shows, workshops/classes, and opportunities. We also highlight news and information about arts education and activities, including bursary awards, in the schools.
Umbrella Submission Guidelines
(Downloadable PDF here.)
Umbrella welcomes submissions for consideration in the following categories: articles on or about the arts in Quinte Region, illustrations and photographs, poetry or prose.
Space is limited, and the following criteria will be used to select which articles are published:
- Is the subject matter timely or time sensitive?
- Does it highlight a local artist/artist group?
- Is the article 500 words or less?
- Is the article succinct and well edited?
- Is the article well-written, with a grasp for the art of narrative story-telling?
- Has the contributor already been featured in the previous issue of Umbrella? (With almost 500 QAC members, we want to ensure equal opportunity for inclusion.)
- Is there a well composed, eye-catching and high resolution photo (preferably more than one) to accompany the article?
- Is the article submitted on or before the deadline? (Submitting early allows staff to give feedback on how to improve the submission to meet our editorial standards.)
- Is the submission better suited as an ad? If so, please consider supporting the Umbrella and purchase an ad. If it’s an event listing, please submit your event online (http://quinteartscouncil.org/events/submit-an-event/).
Our vision with Umbrella is to celebrate the work of a diverse cross-section of artists and arts organizations, across all disciplines, in each issue and throughout the year.
Articles that are not published in the print edition of the Umbrella will be featured on the QAC blog (Umbrella Online), or in the QAC’s weekly Cultivating Creativity column in the Belleville Intelligencer, and shared on social media.
Umbrella assumes no responsibility for unsolicited materials. Umbrella reserves the right to edit, crop and editorialize all submissions. Members are given space priority. Please do not submit previously published work.
2019 Deadlines for submissions:
Spring: January 22
Summer: April 23
Fall: July 16
Winter: October 22
Receiving Umbrella by mail is one of the benefits of membership with the QAC. For only $50 per year, you can become a Community Friend, or for $60 become an Artist or Group member, and help off-set the cost of publishing and circulating Umbrella in the greater Quinte region.
QAC members also receive discounted ad rates. For more information, visit: Advertising in Umbrella.